Saturday, December 17, 2011

Team Name/Logo - Braves

Image
A couple months ago a forum user named "Erica" made the suggestion of the Milwaukee Braves as a team name. I loved it, I thought that team would be perfect, you tie into Milwaukee's sports history as well as Wisconsin's overall history. Many of us are too young to remember the effect the Braves had on the state, and the devastation of when they left. From what I hear they were fully beloved, and probably would rival the Packers for attention if they would have stuck around. Part of the reason for that was how successful they were. They didn't have a losing season for all 13 years they were in Milwaukee, also winning a world series and having players that rival the stature of the Yankees didn't hurt either. Maybe if you bring a team there with the same name you get a little kharma rubbed off, and perhaps a pavlovian response of happiness everytime you hear that name, "and introducing the MILWAUKEE BRAVES!". Ahhhhhhh.

by jwiii69
In this ridiculously PC culture, you want to start a team with the name Braves?!? I don't see that going anywhere...I doubt the league would even ALLOW a native name to come in now.

Love the Caps colors though, you'd never mistake it for anyone else's scheme.

Just my $0.02

jeff

by admin
I definitely failed to take that into consideration. I figured it would be okay given our history with the franchise of the Braves, but it probably is unlikely now if it would be a "new" expansion.

I didn't realize how serious it is, but to your point since 1990 when PC’ness came into full force these are your expansion/relocation teams in all the major sports – Wild, Lightning, Thunder (ironic), Panthers (NFL, NHL), Bobcats, Jaguars, Grizzlies, Raptors, Ravens, Nationals, Devil Rays (cut down to Rays even), Diamondbacks, Rockies, Thrashers, Hurricanes, Sharks, Blue Jackets, Predators, Avalanche, and Ducks. I was only half ass joking when I said you are basically giving up naming your team after a jungle cat but it looks like that is what you have to do these days so as not to offend anyone. It does seem you almost have to be grandfathered into it.

Maybe if we had the full backing of the native population of Wisconsin. I know when Miller Park was going to be built there was a bid by a tribe to build the stadium but it was rejected. If that comes up again if a new arena needs to be built maybe Braves could be approved. To me Braves always came off as a positive connotation of Native American culture, but then again I'm white. Or perhaps we could take Braves to mean something more general.

No comments:

Post a Comment